opt A) Career Help & Advice --> Everthing on this page is FREE
1) Avoid costly financial & career ending mistakes including: job interviews & First Job Mistakes that might ruin or tarnash your future or career. Make the best 'for you' career & school choice. Find professors that have worked in the field they teach and take courses from them that meet your career plan goals. Always have a backup plan that fits your interest and skill set, just in case you need it. 2) Pick a career that is something you have a passion for. Pick a school that offers you the most for your money, keep expenses low and try to avoid loans because you have to pay them back.. a) Get a scholarship if possible, anything to keep the cost down. b) See if you qualify for Student Aid (not a loan). This is for families that need help. c) Try to get a job at college, ask if the school if there are any jobs available on/off campus. d) if not working in the summer consider taking summer classes to lighten your course load. 3) Find professors that have work experience and teach classes in your field of interest. a) Research to find the best teachers. Take one of their classes to see if you like their style. b) Outside of class ask them what to do to get a head start in your chosen career. c) Have a backup career plan that if necessary you could change to with least loss of class credits. d) You're at a time in history that you need every advantage you can get. Study hard to get ahead. e) Take college serious, it's your future and you need to get off to a good start. 4) The first two years are the hardest, this is where less prepared average students flunk out. a) Remember it's your life and ultimately your work ethic will determine your success. b) No one owes you anything, read my 10 Essential Elements List to see how to be successful. c) You must be willing to pay the price to succeed. 5) The first two years classes are general fundamentals and are similiar in most career paths. THESE ARE FUNDAMENTALS THAT YOU MUST LEARN THROUGHLY. YOU MUST LEARN TO DO YOUR WORK ON TIME OR YOU'LL ALWAYS BE UNDER PRESSURE. YOU MUST LEARN DISCIPLINE. NO ONE BUT YOUR FAMILY CARES. NOW IS THE TIME FOR YOU TO GROW UP, TO REACH OUT AND BECOME WHO YOU ARE DESTINED TO BE. THIS IS A CHANCE TO REACH YOUR DREAMS, IT'S UP TO YOU. IF YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH AND WILLING TO PAY THE PRICE IT'S YOURS FOR THE TAKING.
b) HAVE A GO-TO BACKUP PLAN IN CASE YOU DECIDE LATER TO CHANGE YOUR MAJOR. CHOOSE A BACKUP PLAN THAT FITS YOUR INTEREST AND WILL ACCEPT AS MANY OF YOUR EARNED CREDITS AS POSSIBLE. THIS WILL SAVE YOU TIME & MONEY PLUS KEEPS YOU FROM GETTING STUCK IN A CAREER YOU HATE. THE SOONER A CHANGE IS MADE THE CHEAPER IT IS TO DO SO! NOT HAVING TO START OVER SAVES YOU MEGA TIME & LOST MONEY, SO TRY TO GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.
g) HOW TO PLAN AND CUT COLLEGE EXPENSES & CAREER ENDING TRAPS. AGE 17 - COLLEGE THEN INTERVIEWS, TO YOUR FIRST JOB AND PROBATION. I'LL EXPLAIN WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW TO SURVIVE THE POTENTIAL INTERVIEW TRAPS & ESPECIALLY THE TYPICAL 3 MONTH JOB PROBATION PERIOD THAT COULD RUIN YOUR CAREER AND possibly get you fired THAT WOULD put a BIG negative on your permanent record, making it hard to get a GOOD job. IF YOU get fired in first two opportunities OUT OF COLLEGE it wOULD be hard to get another interview MUCH LESS A GOOD JOB. MORE DETAILS FUTHER DOWN THIS PAGE ........ How to cut unnessary expenses, avoid student loans and cut college cost. BOTTOM LINE: WHERE YOU GO TO SCHOOL IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS YOUR ABILITY TO DO THE JOB WHEN YOU GRADUATE! FIND A LESS EXPENSIVE SCHOOL WITH A GOOD REPUTATION IN WHAT YOU WANT TO STUDY - WORK & STUDY HARD SO WHEN U GRADUATE YOU CAN GET A GOOD JOB & MOVE UP THE LADDER AT A NORMAL PACE. ONCE OUT OF SCHOOL YOU NEED TO GAIN EXPERIENCE. DON'T TAKE JUST ANY JOB YOU CAN BECOME "SPECIALIZED" TO THE POINT IT'S HARD TO FIND JOBS. sEE MY bIO NOTICE i NEVER HAD THE SAME JOB TWICE I BECAME VERY FLEXIBLE AND ALWAYS HAD SOMETHING TO OFFER NO MATER WHERE i WENT TO WORK. I HAD A LOT OF TALENT TO OFFER. H) MY site information is for AGE 17 THU COLLEGE, THEN GOING ON JOB INTERVIEWS, TO YOUR FIRST JOB & THE MOST DANGEROUS -> new hire 3-mo PROBATION SITUATIONS. I'LL EXPLAIN WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW TO SURVIVE THE POTENTIAL JOB INTERVIEW TRAPS & ESPECIALLY THE TYPICAL 3 MONTH JOB PROBATION PERIOD THAT COULD END/RUIN YOUR CAREER.
i) <<< Things you need to know about the 3-month new hire probation period >>> avoid GeTting FIRED! YOU WILL probably NEVER KNOW how/WHY. IT'S NOT TALKED ABOUT beCAUSE FEW EVEN KNOW IT EXIST or WARN YOU about it. BUT IT COULD destroy YOUR CAREER OR COST YOU TO LOSE MEGA $$
HELP TO AVOID GETTING FIRED AFTER THE 3 MONTH PROBATION PERIOD. BEWARE OF CO-WORKERS. YOU MUST KNOW THESE FACTS : 1) to BE SUCCESSFUL. learn what the boss is looking for or IS expecting from you. 2) BE AWARE of job ending traps (usually by co-workers) and how to AVOID Them. 3) what your C0- WORKERS MIGHT do (that you least expect) to GET YOU FIRED. 4) you MAY BE considered "the ENEMY" by anyone WHO IS not secure OF their job. 5) remember; it's you thats on trial. You must prove you're an asset & whatever they ask of you - do it well, Be humble, flexible, friendly, a team player and try to fit in WITH YOUR BOSS & CO-WORKERS.
j) I RETIRED & NO LONGER WILL OFFER HELP WITH THE ENGINEERING SKILLS PROGRAM. i'M NOT SURE HOW LONG i WILL KEEP THE WEB SITE ON LINE. IT iS FREE BUT YOU MUST BE ABLE TO FIGURE IT OUT. THIS IS A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY IF YOU'RE SMART ENOUGH TO DO IT. I SUGGEST YOU MAKE A COPY OF THE SITE TO KEEP THIS INFORMATION. MY EMAIL: MCMILLAN01@FLASH.NET AND PUT 'website career question' IN THE SUBJECT line so i'll be sure to notice IT. i DON'T CHECK MY E-MAIL ON A REGULAR BASIS. --------------------------------------------------------- K) OPT#1 : CAREER help: AGE 17 --> COLLEGE --> INTERVIEWS + 1ST JOB SUCCESs THE best plan FOR YOU: a) Go Straight to college OR b) get a job in your field of interest to save money, gain experience & see if this is really what you thought it would be like. learn the difference between the dream & reality. it's hard & EXPENSIVE to change careers later IF YOU GET A DEGREE YOU CAN'T USE.. points of discussion: discuss what gives you the best options: A, B / both. IT DEPENDS ON SO MANY THINGS. YOU COULD WRITE A BOOK ON THIS SUBJECT. JUST TO GET YOU THINKING LET ME THROW OUT A FEW THINGS FOR YOU TO consider first.
1) COLLEGE COST ( est. $25k- 60K /yr) and 4 YRS OR MORE to get a diploma. you are taught the basic requirements for your field of study. this with high grades WILL help you get a better job. But you must be able to produce and be able to do the work w/o any experience. note: COLLEGE WILL HELP YOU GET A BETTER FIRST JOB BUT eXPERIENCE IS kING, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE GOOD AT WHAT YOU DO. bEST IS TO HAVE BOTH, XXXXXX RESTART UPDATING HERE XXXXXX 2) 4-6 MONTHS BEFORE graduation apply to companies SENDING A PROFESSIONALLY PREPARED RESUME ON YOUR QUALIFICATIONS, GRADES/CLASS POSITION AND WHY YOU WOULD BE A FIT INTO THEIR COPANY. and eventually get interviewed. check my input on interviews and the probation period. College will give you a chance but your ability, skills and work ethic will make it happen, or not. Don't oversell yourself, If you don't meet their expections you could be fired in three months, a bad situation. 3) The best path for success is to be in the top percentage of your class, show strong skills, desire and work ethics. You are in a competition with fellow students and those out in the work place whose job you're a threat to take. If you can work before and/or while in college you will have "experience" when you graduate and that's very good to help jump ahead of the others you're competing against. The job you get, the way you handle yourself in that job and how you get along with others are the most inportant items - how much you make initually (ie: salary) is not that important. it's all about the job and your future. The key to success is hard work and your skill set. 4) college usually only gives you the basic fundamentals rarely does it PREPARE you TO DO THE JOB. The more qualified you are when you start the faster & higher up you can go. Most important to have the skills in my essential elements list (study them).
5) WHAT IS A DIPLOMA? hOW ABOUT JUST AN EXPENSIVE PIECE OF PAPER THAT SAYS THAT YOU COMPLETED A COURSE OF STUDY AT A CERTAIN SCHOOL OF LEARNING. WITH SOME EXCEPTIONS, THERE'S NO GUARANTEE. THE BOTTOM LINE IS ULTIMATELY WE HAVE TO MEET EXPECTATIONS AND DO OUR JOB OR WE LOSE IT. TO RISE TO THE TOP IN ORDER TO SUCCEED. tHIS MEANS "WORK" AS LONG AND HARD AS IT TAKES TO ACCOMPLISH YOUR GOAL.
6) MOST IMPORTANT DISCUSSION IS WHAT'S MORE IMPORTANT YOU/YOUR FAMILIES ABILITY TO PAY AND GO STRAIGHT TO COLLEGE VS THE VALUE YOU GAIN BY HAVING THE DEGREE MINUS THE LOST OF 4 YRS TIME AND HAVING NO EXPERIENCE WHEN YOU GRADUATE.
CONSIDER: THE COST OF YOUR EDUCATION (APX $150K+) AND THE LOSS OF FOUR YEARS WORK EXPERIENCE IN YOUR CAREER FIELD BUT AT A LOWER LEVEL.OF PAY (SAY $35K/YR=$140K) MEANS YOU'VE PAID $150K & LOST $140K A TOTAL OF $290K THATS PRETY EXPENSIVE FOR A PIECE OF PAPER AND NO WORK TRAINING OR EXPERIENCE. SCHOOLS & COLLEGES DON'T PREPARE YOU TO ACTUALLY DO MOST JOBS, THE COMPANY HAS TO TRAIN YOU, SO YOU DON'T START VERY HIGH UP THE SCALE UNLESS YOU ARE TOPS IN YOUR CLASS OR IN A VERY SPECIAL FIELD.
7) MY (JIM MCMILLAN'S) WORK 1ST EXPERIENCE. fIRST CLK ON JIM'S BIO, SEE WHAT I DID FOR WORK & HOW I GOT MY DEGREE FREE FROM SMU, SEE '63 -'71 IN BIO. THAT WILL TELL YOU WHAT I DID TO GAIN WORK EXPERIENCE AND SAME MONEY FOR "EXTRAS" AT SCHOOL. ti PAID ME $1K/mo ea summer FROM 1967-1971 FOR 4YRS AT SMU & GUARANTEED ME A JOB WHEN i GRADUATED. MY PAY FROM NON-DEGREED ENGINEER TO A DEGREED ENGINEER JUMPED BY 300% WHEN I GRADUATED. I also received $650/ mo from the GI Bill because i'd been in the Air Force for 3.5 yrs. ADVANTAGES OF WORKING BEFORE GOING TO COLLEGE:
ALL POSITIVES: IT'S AN A++
* THEY'RE PAYING YOU, WHILE YOU CHECK TO SEE IF THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO
* YOU'RE GAINING EXPERIENCE WHILE LEARNING IF THIS JOB IS A GOOD FIT OR NOT
* SAVE YOUR MONEY APPLY TO SCHOOL AND AVOID THOUSANDS IN STUDENT LOANS
* YOU CAN WALK AWAY HAVING LEARNED MANY THINGS & YOU GOT PAID (all A++)
* THIS IS THE BEST TIME TO BE WHERE YOU ARE - TIME IS ON YOUR SIDE, IF YOU CAN
BE PATIENT AND MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICES YOU WILL BE IN CONTROL.
* IT'S A JOB, WORK TO IMPRESS, IT CAN BECOME A JOB RECOMMENDATION OR HIRING OPPORTUNITY WHEN YOU GRADUATE.
NEGATIVES: NONE: you've learned something from everything you've done, BOTH
the good & the bad. IT waS A THEY PAID ME TO LEARN EXPERIENCE.
COLLEGE CHOICES & RECOMMENDATIONS: 1) my new opt-C system COULD CHANGE YOUR LIFE AND career beyond anything you . . could imagine! i suggest you learn my system TO get tools you need this cAN ... be aided by learning my system while in college or while working at a job. 2) determine what college has to offer you. basicaly they teach the required . . . . . basic skills but don't train you to do the job. your goal is a diploma, it shows . you attended, passed & graduated. this will help u get a job interview, but not a job. colleges seperate those who can do the work from those who won't. 3) by age 15-16 determine your desired career (& a backup plan in case it's needed). . select a college that best fits your needs (pre determine what these needs are) . . ck required courses and who the best professors are - take them if you can get . them, esp if they have worked in the field you are majoring in. "been there done . . that" means they know what you need to know. between your plan & your back- . . . . up plan (the first two yrs classes should be as interchangeable as possible TO . . savE time & money SO if you change majors. The sooner you make changes the . .. BETTER - after the 2nd year it becomes much harder and expensive to change. 4) colLeges today are more of a business, their image is more important than any- . thing else, so getting in is the hard part, they have become a social club for the . elite. A PLACE TO NETWORK & MAKE CONNECTIONS. if you are one of them great for . you, if not this is what's important. that you have the knowledge & skills to DO . the job a future employer will hire you to do. i highly suggest you take college . . . serious, work hard and gain all the knowledge you can because it's a matter of . . . . survival from here on, to win - finish strong, find AND OBSORB my 10 elements! regardless of what you think! no-one owes you anything, to be a success you must pay the price and do the work. work as hard as it takes to acomplish your goals if you fail then look in the mirror to see why! frequently go back and study the 10 elements list that is what you're trying to become. if you fail in life it's your fault!
///////////////////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ tHE REST IS " NOTES" I USED IN DEVELOPING THE WEBSITE, NOT PART OF THE SITE ITSELF
HOW TO AVOID EDUCATIONIAL DISASTERS: BE CAREFUL MAKE BEST CAREER CHOICES FIRST TIME - IT SAVES TIME & MONEY IF YOU DO, COLLEGE COST &/OR TAKING EXTRA CLASSES IS EXPENSIVE.
BEWARE OF THE PROBATION PERIOD, UNKNOWN TO YOU, YOUR FELLOW WORKERS MAY SEE YOU
AS THE ENEMY TRYING TO TAKE ONE OF THEIR JOBS. IF SO THEY MAY BE SETTING YOU UP TO GET FIRED, BE CAREFUL WHO YOU TRUST. AVOID CONVERSATIONS YOU AREN'T CONFORTABLE WITH.
SELECT GOOD COLLEGE & CAREER PATH, A DIPLOMA GIVES YOU A CHANCE, BUT SKILLS = A JOB.
DON'T OVERSALE YOUR ABILITIES OR SKILLS AT THE INTERVIEW, THAT COULD GET YOU FIRED.
THESE REPRESENT THINGS YOU HEAR, THINK ABOUT, WRITE DOWN (SEE AND VISUALIZE), THIS REPETITION STORES THE INFO. 5 TIMES IN YOUR BRAIN. THIS SHOULD DEFINITELY HELP YOU TO REMEMBER IT LATER. THAT IS WHAT YOU ACCOMPLISH BY TAKING NOTES. THIS OF COURSE ASSUMES YOUR BRAIN IS STILL FUNCTIONING. /////////////////////////////////////// FREE CAREER HELP/ADVICE: \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ HOW TO AVOID EDUCATIONIAL DISASTERS : IT'S YOUR SKILL AND ABILITY TO ADJUST TO WHATEVER SITUATION YOU ARE IN THAT WILL GET AND KEEP YOU EMPLOYED. NO MATTER WHAT DON'T OVER SALE YOUR SKILLS OR ABILITIES AT THE INTERVIEW. I WANT TO SAVE YOU LARGE SUMS OF MONEY AND HELP YOU AVOID VARIOUS CAREER ENDING MISTAKES LIKE THESE . . . . . 1) SUCH AS WRONG SCHOOL CHOICES, BIG NAME AND EXPENSIVE SCHOOLS MOST OFTEN DON'T GIVE YOU YOUR MONEYS WORTH. BOTTOM LINE WHEN YOU GRADUATE YOU MUST BE ABLE TO DO THE JOB OR YOU WILL GET FIRED, POSSIBILY AFTER YOUR 3 MONTH PROBATON PERIOD. IF THIS HAPPENS TO YOU ON YOUR FIRST TWO JOBS YOU PROBABLY WILL NOT GET ANOTHER CHANCE EXCEPT AT A BOTTOM FEEDER POSITION. I'VE HEARD THAT A LARGE PERCENTAGE OF RECENT ENGINEERING GRADUATES ARE OUT OF ENGINEERING IN 2 TO 3 YEARS. THEY COULDN'T CUT IT. 2) OUT OF TOUCH PROFFESSORS THE EXTREME LIBERAL PROFESSORS WHO HAVE NEVER WORKED IN THEIR FIELDS OF STUDY ARE LEADING STUDENTS OFF A CLIFF WITH THEIR SOCIALIST IDEOLOGIES AND RADICAL VIEWS. I DOUBT THERE ARE MORE THAN A FEW UNIVERSITIES OR COLLEGES IN AMERICA THAT ACTUALLY TEACH TRUTH ANYMORE. THIS IS WHY I QUIT TEACHING IN 2019. MY STUDENTS SIMPLY COULDN'T UNDERSTAND THE MOST BASIC ELEMENTS OF DESIGN, MUCH LESS TAKE NOTES. 3) COUNSELORS THAT LEAD YOU IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. YOU MUST CHOOSE A CAREER THAT YOU ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT PLUS HAVE AT LEAST 2 BACKUP PLANS WHERE IF YOU HAD TO CHANGE MOST IF NOT ALL OF THE FIRST TWO YEARS REQUIRED COURSES WOULD NOT BE LOST. THIS WOULD SAVE YOU MUCH TIME AND MONEY. HOPEFULLY THERE WILL BE A GOOD COUNSULAR AT YOUR SCHOOL TO HELP YOU. IF POSSIBLE TRY TO FIND THE BEST ONE WITH CONNECTIONS IN YOUR DESIRED FIELD OF STUDY THAT MIGHT SUGGEST A NEW OR DIFFERENT CAREER THAT YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN. AT THIS POINT YOU NEED HELP. THESE ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE LAST MINUTE DECISIONS. THESE ARE GENERAL TOPICS AND WOULD NEED TO BE ADJUSTED TO YOUR PARTICULIAR CAREER. I MOSTLY KNOW ABOUT ENGINEERING AND TECHNICAL CAREERS. 4) NOW ADDRESS THE: I JUST GRADUATED - WHAT DO I DO NOW? HOPEFULLY BUY THIS TIME YOU ARE AWARE OF SOME COMPANYS OR PARTS OF THE COUNTRY WHERE YOU'D LIKE TO LIVE OR WORK, OR MAYBE EVEN GO TO GRADUATE SCHOOL. A LONG TIME BEFORE YOU GRADUATE YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN CHECKING THE WATER TO SEE WERE THE ACTION IS AND THE BEST JOBS OR CAREER CHOICES FOR USING YOUR DEGREE. RENEW OR START NEW CONTACTS, SEND RESUMES, POSSIBILY GET PROFESSIONAL HELP ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE IN THE UPPER 10% OF YOUR GRADUATING CLASS. I DON'T DISCUSS HOW TO INTERVIEW PER SAY THERE ARE BOOKS ON THE SUBJECT. BUT I DO HAVE A LIST OF SUGGESTIONS. (NOTE TO ME-FIND THEM) 5) ESPECIALLY DURING PROBATION PERIOD BE AWARE OF WHAT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU IN THE INTERVIEW IF-YOU'VE BEEN SET UP TO FAIL UNKNOWN TO YOU, YOU ARE THE ENEMY. BE CAREFUL WHO YOU TRUST. 6) I CAN ADVISE YOU ON YOUR CHOICE OF A COLLEGE AND CAREER PATH BASED ON WHAT YOU TELL ME. HOWEVER, REALIIZE A DIPLOMA IS ONLY A PIECE OF PAPER THAT SHOWS YOU ATTENDED & GRADUATED. IT BASICALLY GETS YOU IN TO GET AN INTERVIEW BUT IN NO WAY GETS YOU HIRED OR MAKES YOU SUCCESSFUL. YOU MUST BE CAPABILE OF DOING THE JOB THEY HIRED YOU TO DO. IN AN INTERVIEW DON'T PRETEND TO BE SOMEONE YOU'RE NOT, IT'LL ONLY GET YOU FIIRED IN 3 MONTHS OR LESS. A DIPLOMA ONLY OPENS DOORS FOR YOU, IT GIVES YOU A CHANCE BUT YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO PRODUCE OR ELSE. 7) IN THE CURRENT ECONOMY CONSIDER A LESS EXPENSIVE COLLEGE, IT'S NOT SO MUCH WHERE YOU GRADUATE AS IT IS THAT YOU DEMONSTRATE YOU CAN DO THE JOB. BEST TO HAVE A WORK RECORD WHERE PAST EMPLOYERS WILL SAY THEY HATED TO LOSE YOU . HAVE A FLEXIBLE CAREER AND LOOK FOR YOUR SPECIAL PLACE. 8) HAVE A PART TIME JOB PLAN TO HELP KEEP STUDENT LOANS SMALL WITH LESS RISK. ESPECIALLY AT THIS UNSETTLED TIME IN HISTORY. PICK A PLAN THAT GIVES YOU THE BEST CHANCE OF SUCCESS AND ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP PLAN. - JUST IN CASE. IF YOU DECIDE A CAREER CHANGE IS NECESSARY THE QUICKER YOU MAKE THE CHANGE THE BETTER. A) COLLEGE, GIVES YOU 4 YEARS OF BOOK LEARNING IN MANY CORE SUBJECTS AND HOPEFULLY TEACHES YOU HOW TO THINK AND USE YOUR MIND TO DO CERTIAN TASKS. YOU LEARN THEORIES AND PRINCIPLES OF MATH, SCIENCE, ETC. THE FIRST TWO YEARS you take basic courses required for your degree. During this time you can check with people doing the work you wont to do. Make sure you're going in the right direction & if necessary you can change to a different major. . The longer you wait to change the more it'll cost you in time and money. " Rich or Poor" it's up to you - it's your life and for . now you have the ball, don't punt, drop or lose the ball right now you are in control. Never let it go. THE LAST TWO YEARS are classes specifically required in your chosen field of study, "Your Major" With each semester it . . becomes more time consuming and expensive to change to something else unless you have lots of money you could get . . . . "locked-in" to a wrong career path. In the good old days you could change you mind if necessary and start over again, not . so much now. This time it's the money and time that limits you. For most people that's no longer an option - so, you really need to get it right the first time. Recovery from mistakes can take years and cost many thousands of dollars to correct. COLLEGES will try to teach you general knowledge and requirements needed for your major. YOUR ability to grasp & understand this information will determine if you'll make it or not! YOU must study and apply yourself from day one. This is about your future not a time to play. Schools don't train you to do the job you will be required to do when you graduate. That's the result of your experience and/or training by the company that hires you. This is why recent graduates and others without "the right experience" are put on probabation to see if they are worth keeping. It's also a good reason to have experience so you can prove yourself worthy, jump ahead of others and be able to keep your job and progress at a quicker pace. All this is gives you money in the bank.
TAKE COLLEGE SERIOUS, IT'LL DETERMINE YOUR FUTURE: Takes 4 Years of your life and can leave you with massive Student Debt & Pressure (to become a success) . But this could all become wasted time and money: if you can't get and keep a job and have to start over or accept a lower paying job with less status or chance to reach your original desires. This would not be good.
IF YOU CAN: Take classes from highly regarded professors (ck their credentials) that have worked in the field before they become educators. They would have better understanding of what you will be facing. You want someone that's enthusiastic about what they have to offer you, how can they teach something ther're not excited or knowledgeable about. When you graduate you will get a permission slip (a Diploma) which tells a future employer that you just might have the qualifications to work for them. So if called in for an interview they want to see if you are what they're looking for. If you are able to impress them that you're the one they're looking for you might be hired. If you are hired they will most likely put you on 3 month probation to see if you can handle the job! Go to Link#2, Stuff You Need 2 Know to see what you are up against in the interview and after if you are hired. #1 THE JOB INTERVIEW - DO YOUR HOMEWORK, DON'T JUST SHOW UP! IN THE CURRENT ECONOMY CONSIDER A LESS EXPENSIVE COLLEGE' HAVE A FLEXABLE CAREER PLAN & IF POSSIBLE A PART TIME JOB TO KEEP YOUR LOANS DOWN CONSIDER: WORK VS SCHOOL FIRST OPTIONS, TO "WORK FIRST" HAS MORE OPTIONS & LESS RISK - ESPECIALLY AT THIS TIME IN HISTORY. PICK A PLAN THAT GIVES YOU THE BEST CHANCE FOR SUCCESS AND ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP PLAN - JUST IN CASE. IF YOU DECIDE A CHANGE IS NECESSARY, THE QUICKER YOU MAKE THE CHANGE THE BETTER FOR MANY REASONS ESPECIALLY THE TIME & THE MONEY. BEFORE YOU GO TO AN INTERVIEW THERE ARE IMPORTANT THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW - BUT NOT TAUGHT IN SCHOOLS OR EVEN WARNED ABOUT BY THOSE IN THE JOB MARKET. IT'S CRUCIAL STUFF YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT EVEN IF THINGS DON'T SEEM TO BE THIS WAY "BE AWARE" SO YOU AREN'T CAUGHT "OFF-GUARD". IT'S USUALLY THE PEOPLE YOU WORK WITH (NOT THE COMPANIES) THAT DO THE THINGS THAT COULD DAMAGE OR HURT YOUR CAREER (GET YOU FIRED) BEFORE IT GETS STARTED. YOU ARE THE ENEMY, THOSE IN THE GROUP YOU ARE WORKING IN THINK YOU ARE THERE TO TAKE THEIR JOB OR ONE OF THERE FRIENDS JOB, IF THIS IS TRUE, THEY WANT YOU TO GET FIRED, NOT THEM OR ONE OF THEIR FRIENDS. BEWARE WHO YOU TRUST. IF IT HAPPENS (YOU GET FIRED) YOU'LL PROBABLY NEVER KNOW HOW OR WHY IT HAPPENED. IT WILL CAUSE IT TO BE HARDER TO GET A SECOND INTERVIEW AS WELL. IF THIS HAPPENS BE SURE TO CONTACT ME SO I CAN HELP YOU OVERCOME IT. BUY THE WAY THIS IS ONE REASON YOU SHOULD NEVER OVER SELL YOUR SKILLS OR ABILITIES AT AN INTERVIEW. YOU NEED A FAST OUT OF THE GATE WORK HISTORY - THIS WILL BE ON YOUR PERMANENT RECORD. IF YOU WERE TO FAIL ON YOUR SECOND JOB AS WELL (AFTER THE 3-MO PROBATION PERIOD) YOU WOULD HAVE A VERY DIFFICULT TIME EVEN GETTING AN INTERVIEW, WORST CASE YOU MAY HAVE TO TAKE ANY JOB YOU CAN GET AND TAKE YEARS IF EVER TO OVERCOME THIS. CAREER DISCUSSION: IS IT BETTER TO GO TO WORK OR GO TO COLLEGE FIRST ??? OPTIONS: GO TO WORK FIRST & GAIN EXPERIENCE OR GO TO COLLEGE & HOPE IT'S WORTH IT DISCUSSION: WHAT'S BEST for you & your future: RESTART EDITING HERE zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (1) TO GO TO WORK FIRST, GAIN EXPERIENCE AND SEE IF YOU LIKE THAT TYPE OF WORK, THEN GO TO COLLEGE. OR (2) GO TO COLLEGE, PAY/BORROW BIG $, ENJOY YOURSELF & GROW UP WISHING YOU'D DONE IT DIFFERENTLY. OR (3) FIND A LESS KNOWN SCHOOL THAT MEETS YOUR NEEDS, STUDY HARD, WORK SUMMERS, GET A GOOD START IN LIFE. It varies depending on many things: like your age / money / other commitments, etc. But the most important thing is to work & study hard. Try avoid the wild college party life style. Now is about your future. This is the most important time in your life.
A COMPANY WANTS SOMEONE: WHO IS COMMITTED, SMART, A HARD WORKER AND FILLS A NEED. SO YOU HAVE THREE OPTIONS: ALL DEPEND ON WHAT YOU WILL HAVE TO OFFER WHEN YOU DO APPLY A) WHEN YOU GRADUATE FROM COLLEGE AND HAVE LITTLE OR NO WORK EXPERIENCE . B) HAD SUMMER JOBS IN YOUR CAREER PLAN. OBSERVED & TALKED TO PEOPLE WHO SHARED . THEIR KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE JOB SO YOU COULD SEE IF THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. C) TO HAVE MORE WISDOM, EXPERIENCE AND WORK HISTORY THAN THE OTHER GRADUATES YOU ARE COMPETING WITH. JIM SPENT 45+ YEARS MODIFING, DESIGNING AND INVENTING MANY INTERESTING PRODUCTS AND UNIQUE ONE-OF-A-KIND ORIGINAL PROJECTS FOR HIMSELF & MANY OTHER COMPANIES. DESIGN SKILLS: I THINK ALL COULD BENEFIT FROM DESIGN SKILLS, LINK#3 & DESIGN ELEMENTS, LINK#4 FREE .INFOMATION. SCALE DOWN TO THE "10 ELEMENTS LIST". THIS OLD SCHOOL WAY OF THINKING IS .THE HEART & SOUL OF MY CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING AND DESIGN SYSTEM - USE THEM TO .BETTER YOUR CHANCES OF SUCCESS (WORKS IN MOST CAREERS) IT BECOMES A WAY OF LIFE: HOW TO DO THINGS RIGHT, THE FIRST TIME. WISDOM FORMULA & ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS THE 2 MOST CRITICAL PARTS OF THE SYSTEM.iT'S ON DOWN THE PAGE A BIT.
#1) THE ESSENTIAL SKILLS IS A LIST OFVALUES I COLLECTED THROUGHOUT MY CAREER TO GUIDE MY THINKING AS I DEVELOPED MY PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS FROM A VERY EARLY AGE. MY GREATEST GIFT IS THAT OF PRONBLEM SOLVING, IT HAS SERVED ME WELL.
#2) THE ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS I LEARNED THESE EARLY IN LIFE & USED THEM TO DEVELOP MY WAY OF THINKING. I LIVED THESE VALUES AND HAVE ALWAYS TRUSTED THEM. THE ELEMENTS ARE A COLLECTION OF BELIEFS AND SAYINGS I HEARD WHEN I WAS GROWING UP IN THE 50"S. IT BECAME A LIFE STYLE OR WAY TO LIVE THAT I STILL FOLLOW AND LIVE BY TO THIS DAY. MY PROJECTS AND DESIGNS HAVE BEEN ABOUT 95% SUCCESSFUL IN MY CAREER - ON PROJECTS OR JOBS WHERE I WAS IN CONTROL, NOT SO MUCH IN MY EARLIER YEARS WHEN I HAD LITTLE CONTROL ON WHAT WE DID. THIS IS WHY I STARTED MY OWN CONSULTING COMPANY AND EVENTUALLY BECAME AN ENGINEER, A TEACHER (NEVER IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL) AND MANY OTHER THINGS. IN THE CURRENT ECONOMY CONSIDER A LESS EXPENSIVE COLLEGE, A FLEXABLE CAREER PLAN AND A PART TIME JOB TO KEEP STUDENT LOANS LOW. SEE WORK VS SCHOOL FIRST, OPTION SUGGESTIONS & IDEAS ARE DISCUSSED NEXT ON THIS SITE. SEE JIM'S BIO, A RETIRED R&D ENGINEER OFFERING: LINK-2 CAREER HELP TO AVOID MAKING MAJOR CAREER MISTAKES. IS IT BEST (?) TO: WORK & GAIN EXPERIENCE OR GO TO COLLEGE FIRST. CLK: LINK#2 FOR CRUTIAL DECISION MAKING INFORMATION.
TO "WORK FIRST" SEEMS TO OFFER MORE OPTIONS AND LESS RISK. ESPECIALLY IN THIS CRAZY TIME OF POLITICAL UPHEAVAL. PICK A PLAN THAT GIVES YOU THE BEST CHANCE OF SUCCESS & ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP PLAN. IF YOU DECIDE A CHANGE IS NECESSARY, THE QUICKER YOU DO IT THE BETTER. iT SAVES YOU TIME AND MONEY PLUS IT MAY BE HARD TO GET IN A CLASS. it the better - for many reasons.
No one can predict the job market but jobs will be difficult to find and recent grad's are an unknown and untested risk. There are many experienced but ??? to pay their bills & support their families. they have a work history THAT EMPLOYERS CAN use to verify their skills, but if you HAVE worked, you would ALSO HAVE A WORK HISTORY too and YOU would know what A boss expects of you at work.
a company wants to hire the best qualified & experienced applicant he can get at the lowest salary. Read my link#2, U need to know page especially see 3) a, b or c about experience and link#3, "Essentials Skills". you should look for a job in an area doing something you have a passion for so you can talk with him to gain knowledge of WORK experience in your field of study and also MAKe and save money you'll need for college expenses.
Be sure to follow my advice about working each summer to save money and get important experience. this will give you an advantage over others when applying for a job after graduation. the competition can be competitive so start months before u graduate. If hired Ask to start working a couple of weeks (after graduation or after you're hired, if needed) to have time to move and find a place to stay. B) WORK OPTION: AFTER ONE SEMESTER IN COLLEGE I JOINED THE AIF FORCE, WENT TO A 53 WEEK LONG ELECTRONICS SCHOOL AND when discharged USED THE "GI BILL" TO PAY FOR MY COLLEGE EDUCATION AT SMU IN DALLAS . IT WAS A VERY SMART MOVE FOR ME. I LEARNED WHAT LIFE WAS LIKE WITHOUT A COLLEGE DEGREE AND I LEARNED DISCIPLINE WHICH I NEEDED. THE AIR FORCE SENT ME TO A 53 WEEK LONG ELECTRONICS SCHOOL AND EVENTUALLY I USED THE "GI BILL" TO PAY FOR MY COLLEGE DEGREE, BSEE AT SMU IN DALLAS. I HAD ALWAYS WANTED TO BE AN ENGINEER AND IT OFFERED ME THE TICKET (CLICK ON JIM'S BIO TO SEE SOME OF WHAT I DID FROM AGE 9 ON. I CAN'T REVEAL SOME THINGS I DID BECAUSE OF CONTRACT AGREEMENTS, ETC.
A COMPANY WANTS TO HIRE SOMEONE THEY REALLY NEED, THAT CAN DO THE JOB, IS SMART, A HARD WORKER AND HAS A HISTORY. THEY CAN CHECK YOUR JOB HISTORY TO BETTER DECIDE WHETHER OR NOT YOU'RE A FIT. IF YOU JUST GRADUATED FROM COLLEGE YOU PROBABLY HAVE NO HISTORY AND THAT MEANS THEY MUST SPENT TIME AND MONEY TO TRAIN YOU AS WELL! THIS IS WHY YOU'RE PUT ON (SEE LINK#2) 3-MO PROBATION. HOW YOU PRESENT YOURSELF IS CRITICAL TO THIS PROCESS BUT DON'T OVERSELL YOUR ABILITIES OR PRETEND TO BE SOMEONE YOU'RE NOT. IT WILL ONLY GET YOU YOU FIRED IF YOU DON'T MEASURE UP TO BE WHO THEY THOUGHT YOU WOULD BE.
IF YOU HAVE WORKED BEFORE AND HAVE A GOOD REFERIENCE THERE ARE SEVERAL GOOD POSSIBILITIES;
A) THE COMPANY YOU WORKED FOR MIGHT HIRE YOU EACH SUMMER &/OR HELP PAY SOME OF YOUR COLLEGE EXPENSES IF YOU AGREE TO WORK FOR THEM WHEN YOU GRADUATE (THIS HAPPENED WITH ME ) . B) ALSO WHEN YOU GRADUATE YOU SHOULD QUALIFY FOR A JOB STARTING AT A HIGHER LEVEL AND A BETER PAY GRADE. PROBABLY MUCH HIGHER THAN OTHER RECENT GRADUATES. C) YOU COULD QUALIFY FOR BETTER SUMMER JOBS EACH SUMMER AND ENHANCE POSSIBILITIES OF MORE OFFERS WHEN YOU GRADUATE. D) YOU WOULD BE OLDER, WISER, MORE SETTLED DOWN AND A BETTER CANDIDATE FOR A COMPANY TO INVEST IN . AS AN EMPLOYEE. E) IF YOU HAVE ANY STUDENT LOANS THEY SHOULD BE LESS - ESPESIALLY IF THE COMPANIES HELPED OR YOU SAVED . MUCH OF YOUR SUMMER WAGES TO HELP PAY FOR YOUR EDUCATION. F) SUMMER JOBS IN DIFFERENT COMPANIES COULD GIVE YOU A WIDE RANGE OF EXPERIENCE MAKING YOU EVEN MORE . . . DESIREABLE TO HIRE. JUST REMEMBER: THIS IS SERIOUS, IT'S ABOUT YOUR FUTURE.
2) GET A GOOD EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND, TO AVOID PROBLEM IN 1) ABOVE. WHILE IN HIGH SCHOOL FIND SUMMER JOBS SO YOU CAN GET CLOSE TO PEOPLE IN YOUR FUTURE PROFESSION TO OBSERVE AND ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT WHAT THEY DO AND WHAT YOU CAN DO TO BE BETTER QUALIFIED WHEN YOU GRADUATE. THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO FIND OUT IF THIS . REALLY IS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO FOR MANY YEARS, YOUR CAREER.
3a) WORK HARD TO GAIN EXPERIENCE, YOU'LL GET HIRED BEFORE OTHERS AND YOU'LL FIND OUT IF YOU REALLY LIKE THE JOB /NOT. DETERMINE YOUR WEAKNESSES AND STRENGTHEN THEM. IF YOUR STARTING POSITION IS ( A, B, OR C ). . A) STILL BE IN HI-SCH, AGE 15-17. THIS ALLOWS YOU PLENTY OF TIME TO RESEARCH AND PREPARE FOR THE JOB. B) COLLEGE: AFTER 1&2 YEAR: CHECK YOUR PLANS TO SEE IF STILL OK. THE EARLIER YOU MAKE CHANGES THE BETTER. C) LAST YR IN COLLEGE: ONLY IF NECESSARY: DELAY GRADUATION & TAKE EXTRA CLASSES YOU NEED TO BE A BETTER CANIDIDATE OR TO GET HIRED AT A HIGHER PAY/SKILL LEVEL AND/OR A BETTER PAYING JOB. WHEN YOU GO FOR A JOB INTERVIEW YOU MUST KNOW THINGS ABOUT THE COMPANY YOU ARE INTERVIEWING WITH SO THAT IF YOU AREN'T INTERESTED IN WHAT THEY ARE ASKING YOU ABOUT YOU CAN STEER THE CONVERSATION ABOUT THAT PART OF THE COMPANY AND ASK THE INTERVIEWER IF HE/SHE HAS ANY OPENING IN THAT AREA. EITHER WAY YOU'RE IN A GOOD POSITION. DON'T OVER SALE YOUR SKILLS BECAUSE IF YOU GET HIRED YOU MUST PREFORM BETTER THAN EXPECTED OR GET FIRED. D) THE WORST SITUATION: IS TO TAKE THE WRONG JOB AND GET FIRED AFTER THE THREE MONTH PROBATION PERIOD. . . . IF THAT HAPPENS YOU MUST BE SUCCESSFUL AT YOUR SECOND JOB BECAUSE IF YOU LOSE YOUR FIRST TWO JOBS RIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE YOU WILL HAVE TROUBLE GETTING ANOTHER CHANCE AT ANYTHING YOU'D WANT TO HAVE. YOU COULD END UP WITH A DEGREE YOU CAN'T USE AND A DEBT YOU CAN'T PAY, IT COULD TAKE YRS. TO RECOVER. E) IT'S BEST TO FIND A JOB THAT YOU LOVE AND IS IN YOUR SKILL SET. SKILL SET. YOU NEED TO GET A SMOOTH START IN YOUR CAREER AND THEN WORK HARD TO ADVANCE UP THE LADDER. DON'T SEEK A JOB ABOVE YOUR SKILL LEVEL YOU COULD LOSE IT ALL. THIS IS WHY SUMMER JOBS ARE SUCH A SMART MOVE, YOU LEARN THINGS SCHOOL CAN'T TEACH AND SUMMERS OFF "PLAYTIME" ISN'T GOING TO DO A THING TO HELP YOUR CAREER PLUS YOU JUST MIGHT HAVE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS YOU AND MIGHT HIRE YOU WHEN YOU GRADUATE.
9) WHILE IN COLLEGE GET SUMMER JOBS IN THE AREA OF WORK YOU PLAN TO GO INTO - ANY JOB SO YOU CAN TALK TO PEOPLE IN YOUR CHOSEN PROFESSION TO SEE/LEARN WHAT THEY DO. THIS ALSO GIVES YOU WORK EXPERIENCE THAT WILL HELP YOU IN MANY WAYS - WORK FREE IF NECESSARY AND ALWAYS TRY TO GET HIRED WAY IN ADVANCE. IDEALY MAKE IT A WORK FOR THEM EVER YEAR OPPORTUNITY. AT TEXAS INSTRUMENTS I WAS ON THEIR SUMMER DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM. FIND OUT IN ADVANCE IF THERE ARE ANY COMPANIES WHERE YOUR FAMILY HAS A CONNECTION THAT COULD OPEN A DOOR FOR YOU TO GET A SUMMER JOB.
10) CRITICAL CAREER INFO: YOU'LL GET HIRED, PUT ON PROBATION & MOST LIKELY FIRED AFTER THREE MONTHS . WHY? EMPLOYEES AT THE JOB WILL SEE YOU AS THE ENEMY AND NOT HELP YOU. BECAUSE YOU ARE YOUNGER, FRESH OUT OF COLLEGE, PROBABLY SMARTER, WILL WORK FOR LESS AND ARE A THREAT TO TAKE THEIR JOB OR ONE OF THEIR FRIENDS JOB! THEY WILL BE FRIENDLY BUT ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS. NOW AT THE REVIEW YOU WILL MEET WITH THE BOSS AND YOUR SUPERVISOR TO DECIDE IF THEY WILL KEEP YOU OR NOT. THE BOSS WILL ASK HARD QUESTIONS AND YOU MUST IMPRESS HIM TO KEEP YOUR JOB. BUT SOME OF YOUR FELLOW WORKERS MAY HAVE BEEN WORKING AGAINST YOU TO GET YOU FIRED TO SAVE THEIR/ONE OF THEIR FRIENDS JOB - IF SO YOU'LL NEVER SEE IT COMING OR KNOW WHO DID IT.
11) ....................BEST WAYS TO PROTECT YOURSELF, JUST A FEW SUGGESTIONS.................... IF YOU ARE A GOOD FIT FOR THE JOB THIS IS YOU BEST WAY TO KEEP IT!
1) FROM DAY 1 BE A HARD WORKER SHOW THEM THEY HIRED THE RIGHT PERSON , HELP ANYWHERE YOU CAN 2) LEARN EVERYTHING YOU CAN ABOUT YOUR JOB AND DO AS GOOD A S YOU CAN, BE AN ASSET, NOT A LIABILITY3) BE SOCIAl, TRY TO FIT IN, DON'T BE SEEN AS A THREAT TO YOUR CO-WORKERS BE LIKEABLE BUT REAL4) ANYTHING YOU DON'T KNOW LEARN QUICKLY. VERIFY ANYTHING YOU'RE NOT SURE IS TRUE OR NOT (TO BE SAFE)5) GIVE A DAYS WorK FOR A DAYS PAY - be on time, take normal breaks, be part of the team and watch your tongue.6) At the orig. job interview - Don't oversell your abilities get a job you can do and give 110% esp the first three mo's.7) Your first job is the most important, THIS IS A TEST, YOUR FUTURE & CAREER DEPENDS ON IT'S SUCCESS!8) Keep up with the job market know when you're at a peak and move on while you have options. 12) If you are fired on your first job make sure it doesn't happen again - it would be a disaster. Shop around for a job you know you can do and don't make the same mistakes again. MUST make it on your 2nd chance - or you'll be looking for a lower level job and pay if you don't. It could take years to recover money wise, if ever. Your first job determines your future - get a job that you can excel in.
13) CRITICAL CAREER POINT #3: DON'T GET FIRED TWICE! IF YOU DO I'LL GO ON YOUR PERMENENT RECORD MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO GET ANOTHER CHANCE ESPECIALLY FOR A GOOD JOB IN YOUR CHOSEN PROFESSION. This could mean having an expensive degree you can't use, debts you can't pay & have to start over or accept a less appealing job/career! You Must get it Right The First Time! This Is One Of The Most Important Times Of Your Life! WORK HARD NOW, PLAY HARD LATER. A MISTAKE COULD COST YOU MEGA -MRGA BUCKS. GOOD LUCK, JIM
see: go to work / college 1st, discussed down the page. study links #3, #4 + jim's bio career help: major important things that could destroy your career! I also want to give you warning to help you avoid the unknown pitfals and traps that you need to know about before it's to late. these could destroy your career before it even gets started and you'd never see it coming or know how it happened by who or why. it's all explained as well as what to be aware of in order to avoid it happening to you. also see what to do when you get hired to make sure you don't get fired! it could cost you big money and take years to overcome and possibly ruin your financial future & limit your career goals. I explain how this happens plus how to avoid them, prevent other bad choices or mistakes that can change your career by lowering your income & causing your career to start at a lower skill or pay level and put you years behind where you should be or get you in debt that will change your quality of life for many years to come.